The Hamilton House is a 1947 ranch transformed by a series of additions over the 17 years we've lived in the house. Large trees allow the corner lot on a busy street to appear pastoral and green. Each addition is rendered in cement board & battens, painted white, and capped off with a dark gray roof. Each addition is a box with eye-level traditional 6 over 6 windows and above eyelevel more modern glass. Rooms vary in height with as many interior walls removed as possible, breaking up the cellular configuration of traditional houses. The color white dematerializes the exterior making it cheerful on both sunny and dull days. A second floor addition is on the drawing board.

Photography ©Craig-Kuhner